Latest News

Clients Say

I like the way Seguin Financial always asks for my input and fully involves me in the decision-...

Nick Cardone

7150 Hawthorne Dr. Unit 104
Windsor, ON, N8T 3N3

Phone: (519) 974-6688
Toll Free: +1 866-973-4846
Fax: (519) 974-7192

Quick Tips For Snowbirds

  • If you would like to apply to become a resident of another country, you can do so without affecting you status as a Canadian resident.
  • Becoming a resident of a country is an important consideration if you are planning to purchase property. It may be difficult to guarantee your property rights if you are considered a tourist.
  • If you own foreign property worth more than $100,000, you must report this to the Canadian Revenue Agency. You could face substantial penalties if you fail to do so.
  • It is important to determine whether the country you are planning to visit has a tax treaty with Canada. If there is no formal tax treaty, you may be subject to double taxation.
  • If you are planning on spending substantial time in the U.S., you will need to know if you are a "resident alien" or a "non-resident alien" - a determination made by the IRS. Your status as a U.S. resident will affect the way you pay tax.
  • Be aware that the majority of provincial health care programs may terminate your benefits if you are out of Canada for more than six months.

Mutual funds are offered through Manulife Securities Investment Services Inc. Insurance products and services are offered through Seguin Financial Group Ltd. Seguin Financial Group is a trade name used for both mutual fund & Insurance business activities. Banking products and services are offered through referral.